RE: religious wars

On 12 June 2007 01:53, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>> From: Dave Korn
> [...]
>>
>> ... because although I really dislike the ...
>>
>>     if( arg )
>>         x = FuncCall( arg );
>>
>> ... style and much prefer the GNU ...
>>
>>     if (arg)
>>         x = FuncCall (arg);
>>
>> ... Style
>
> Unfortunately, both are wrong.  The right way to do it is:
>
> 	if(whatever)

  Nahhh, that's so obviously not right at all!  Because I say so, et de
gustibus non disputandum est, which means "I'm right in matters of taste so
don't argue"![1]

> 	{
> 		// Do something here.  In these nice brackets.
> 		// Even if it's one line.  Because
> 		// as soon as you type it it'll need to be two lines.
> 		// And then you'll have caused yourself a defect.

  Heh.  Gary, this may be a one-off, but I'll let you have it in writing
anyway:

   I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID![*]

> 	}
>
> 	FunctionCall(arg1, another_arg);
>
> ...etc.
>
>> (and anyway, just exactly which direction do
>> brackets bind in in C, anyway, eh?),
>
> As shown above

  Ah, glad you agree with me, I also think brackets should bind like above:

>> (and anyway, just exactly which direction do
   ^^

>> brackets bind in in C, anyway, eh?),
                                   ^^^

> As shown above

  Seconded!

> , and like thus:

  Again, wrong.  See [1] above.

> Sure there is, I thought of that one like a decade ago.  Trouble is, now
> you're asking folks to agree on the format of the formatting specifications.

  Wait!  I thot XML had come to save us all!???  Not ?!?

> Maybe some time-travelling, space-faring, utopian civilization in the far
> distant future will be able to come to some sort of agreement on such
> things, but for our lifetimes such an harmonious coexistence shall remain
> firmly in the realm of fantasy.

  Nahh, I've seen the future.  The time-travelling, space-faring, utopian
civilizations all exterminated each other in a merciless war over whether to
use CR-LF or just plain LF line-endings.  (Much like the tiny, scurrying,
rat-like mammals who survived the meteor-strike that killed the dinosaurs, a
few Mac users were seen scurrying away, clutching their precious CR sacred
relics, accompanied by a few hippos.  I reckon we won't have heard the last of
them...)

> Now if you will kindly excuse me, I have work to do in *this* century,
> sorting out my carriage returns from my linefeeds before my VT-52's screen
> gets burned in.  GOOD DAY SIR!

[*]   - this offer void where prohibited by law.[**]
[**]  - or just plain common sense.[***]
[***] - sorry, guess I just couldn't leave it without some kind of disclaimer,
could I, after all?