RE: Microsoft can't count!

On 17 September 2007 19:51, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 12:45 PM:
>
>> On 17 September 2007 17:34, One Angry User wrote:
>>
>>> On a chilly Monday morning, the 17th day of September, 2007, Dave
>>> Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

The

>>> They are used to much larger numbers...
>>>
>>> OAU
>>
>>   Or perhaps just none too clear on the difference between a release
>> version and a release series.
>>
>>   Whatever the case, it's vulgar and unprofessional of them!
>>
>>     cheers,
>>       DaveK
>
> But it's vulgar and unprofessional by design.  Remember that MS designs its
> products to be easy to use by people who don't know what they are doing.
> The side effect is that it makes if harder to use by people who DO know
> what they're doing.  So MS counting professionally would be out of
> character.

  I have some bad news.  Microsoft just rushed a standard through the ISO
fast-track acceptance process, and now they've standardised the new value of
three as being four.

  <sigh> Now I've go back over all my old geometrical software and figure out
how to implement evaluatePIlikeIndiana97.[*]

[*] - that's 1897, of course :)