Re: OLoCA

Dave Korn wrote:
Uriel Apeiron wrote on 30 July 2008 20:23:

Hi,

I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
 The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset
of abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.

...and the first example wikipedia gives is Cee Ee Oh. I always thought an acronym was a series of letters that stood for something, and an abbreviation was e.g. "etc" (short for "et cetera"), i.e. usually a shortened form of a single word. Then there are "initialisms" which seems more accurate, but do the hippos really care either way?

(Sheesh, that last sentence makes me feel like I am writing one of the spam messages that looks like a lorem ipsum generator. And wtf is the point of those, anyway? I mean, they don't advertise anything or try to get me to do anything. Are they from hippos trying to write poetry, that feel the need to do the digital equivalent of walking down a hall, which is to say clog the network with mail floods whose digital girth resembles that of the physical (hippo) author? Will the number of occurrences of the word "hippo" in this message set off the spam detector? Do hippos even like spam or are the vegetarian? Is vegetarianism even relevant to whether or not someone likes spam?)

Embi, but yowtwit!

I think you meant YOWTWYTT? (s/wrote/typed/)

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)