Re: 1.7: Problem with Vista64b ACLs and sockets

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 16 14:17, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>> I do a 'ping' in my profile of an Internet server to see if the
>> network is up when I bring up the first terminal session/login.
>>
>> I'm getting the following error:
>>
>>    ping: socket: Operation not permitted
>
> Cygwin's ping uses raw sockets.  Using raw sockets is only allowed
> to administrative users since Windows XP or so.

  ITYM "... since that FUDmonger Gibson started ranting and raving that the
sky was falling if raw socket ops were permitted to ordinary user accounts".
We now have the benefit of hindsight, and it's made exactly _how much_
difference to the usability of XP machines as botnet drones sending spoofed
packets in DDoS attacks?

  Yep, that's right.  None.  A big fat zero.  Zip, nil, zilch, nada,
diddly-squat.  Bugger all multiplied by bugger nothing.  A goose egg; out for
a golden duck.  Nullity, void, the empty set; having no measurable or
otherwise determinable value, nothing: a quantity of no importance; a
mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number.
 Aught, nought, naught, nix, nothing, null.

  It has, however, been a right PITA for legitimate users, so at least he
achieved something.

  /me LOLs at Gibson.  *And* his website still looks like it was done in
RTF format in Wordpad[*]!

[*]   - By an eight-year-old![**]
[**]  - The kind of eight-year-old who's still sticking crayons up their
nose at that age.[***]
[***] - Look, do I have to spell it out?[****]
[****]- Ralph Wiggum.  His website looks like it was done by Ralph Wiggum.