Re: laptop performace

Back in January I noticed the performance of Cygwin, and Cygwin/Xfree86 in particular, went down the tubes. I posted to the general cygwin mailing list since all things cygwin were affected. Here's a link to the root of the thread. You can follow it to conclusion by hitting the "Thread Next" link.

From: Thor Anders Aarhaug <taarhaug at mercury dot chembio dot ntnu dot no>
To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
Subject: laptop performace
Date: 28 Feb 2003 13:42:03 +0100

hi,

just installed 1.3.20-1 on one laptop and one stationary.  full
install on both, no modifications.

I experience a slow performance on the laptop, FS Lifebook E 2.2 GHz
with a Ati Radeon Mobility 7500.  for instance, emacs hardly starts
(unless i put it in the startxwin.bat) and the screen updates are
slow.

I tried messing with the -depth and -refresh parameters to no avail.

my Dell Optiplex 1.8 GHz shows a completely different behaviour.

I was looking for hardware drivers, but could not find any.

suggestions?

TAA