Re: Running GIMP under Cygwin (not Win32!)??

Chris,

I can't say that I have compiled the GIMP. Some have compiled gtk and glib, but there are various compromises that must be made in doing so. (Last I checked, these libraries could only be built for static linking... but that may have changed with the 2.x series). Do a search of the mailing list archives (link at xfree86.cygwin.com), or Google for how to compile Gnome for Cygwin. You should find information from Steve Obrien (If I recall his name correctly) that will be of use to you.

Good luck,

Harold

Chris Olive wrote:
I posted this question to the cygwin mailing list last week, and someone on that list referred me here and said he cross-posted for me. I didn't hear anything from his "cross-post," so I'm trying again...

It would seem it's at least possible to run The GIMP under Cygwin/XFree. Try as I might, I can't get it to work. Specifically, I can't get some of the necessary pre-requeistes to configure and make properly (glib, GTK+, etc.) Has ANYONE gotten GIMP to work under Cygwin, and if so, specifically what steps did you take to get it to work? I've done a lot of research on this before asking the question, and there is bare mention of this on the web -- I see NO WHERE where anyone claims that this works. Essentially, there is no SOLID information ANYWHERE on getting this to work.

I am interested only in running GIMP under Cygwin/XFree -- I am NOT interested the Win32 version of GIMP! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
-----
Chris Olive