Re: remote X to SUN box

Hi Feroz,
I am doing the same thing that you describe.  I have an icon on my w2k
desktop which points to a batch file (D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xwin.bat)
The xwin.bat is the original batch file that appeared with the original
installation of cygwin.  It has a few modifications to allow for the
installation on my D drive and such.  The last line above the ":END" line
reads "start XWin.exe -query sun_name -fp tcp/sun_name:7100".  If sun_name
is Solaris 2.6 machine, I don't need the "-fp tcp/sun_name:7100" part of
that command line.  It works fine without it.  But, and this is the real
kicker, when connecting to a solaris 9 machine, I must have an external
font server or I get the same response that you describe. (IE: the hour
glass forever).   But wait, there's more.  If I point the external font
server (IE: -fp tcp/solaris_9:7100) at a Solaris 9 machine I cannot run a
graphical application which prints several traces horizontally across the
screen.  If I point the external font server at a Solaris 2.6 machine the
application runs but squashes the traces and lables horizontally such that
it is very difficult to read.
Bottom line here is that Solaris 9 has munged up the fonts (or fonts
server) with respect to cygwin.  And I don't have a clue how to fix it.  I
don't know much about the Solaris 9 OS.  Incidentally, all my solaris
machines are running CDE.  I sure would like to know what SUN did in
Solaris 9 that is different.  I really need this funtionality with the
described application.  Any SUN gurus out there?
-Alan

                      "Feroz F. Basir"
                      <dbase77 at yahoo dot com        To:       cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
                      >                         cc:
                      Sent by:                  Fax to:
                      cygwin-xfree-owner        Subject:  remote X to SUN box
                      @cygwin.com

                      03/23/2003 02:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      cygwin-xfree

Hi all,

I'm new to cygwin. I downloaded to do remote X to my
SUN box. I already read the FAQ section about SUN box
issue with xfree. I ran these 2 commands but still got
hourglass, no login prompt. Command as follow:

xwin -query sun_ip from client_ip

xwin -query sun_ip -fp tcp/sun_ip:7100

As I said, both gave me hourglass for some reason. I
wonder if anybody out there ever do remote X with SUN
box and experience this problem. If so, care to give
me guideline on how to persue this matter, please? Am
I missing something here?

Thank you in advance.

regards,
feroz