Re: XWin design suggestion (Win32)

Suhaib,

I don't think I need to do all of that adminstrative stuff just yet. Right now I am looking at this as more of a long-term goal. I will revive the Win32-X11 project if I ever get some code that compiles. Until then I will just work on it on my own when I have some time.

Thanks for your help,

Harold

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
Harold

Chris may have deleted the CVS.  He maybe able to help you reset it and
add you as a administrator to win32-x11.  However, sources in win32-x11
CVS were screwed up.  The last update I did to win32-x11 CVS was during
my middle of move from North Carolina to California and somehow I
screwed up the sources.  A few users reported missing files and
directories.  The version of CD should be complete with sources, and
pre-compiled binaries.

If you are willing to take over the Win32-X11 project, please consult
with Chris for admin privileges. The web pages will need to be updated
too and you can move my name there to "Project Orginator" (Like
Cygwin/Xfree86 project) instead of maintainer and active contributor.

I would be more then glad to help you off-line with porting questions ad
fixes.  However, unfortunately, I will not be able to actively
contribute or do some actual work.  You are an excellent programming and
I am confident you would could get things done much faster.

Suhaib

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Harold L Hunt II Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 11:33 AM To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com Subject: Re: XWin design suggestion

I tried checking the CVS repository out, but it says:

harold@kraftwerk ~/x-devel
$ cvs co win32-x11
cvs server: Updating win32-x11
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/cvs/src/win32-x11' (/cvs/src/w
in32-x11/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/src/win32-x11'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

Harold

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

Harold

I never unsubscribed from Cygwin-xfree and Cygwin lists.  I only went
into passive mood because why bable when I could not contribute :-)

I will send you CD once I have your info.

Chris had win32-x11 project setup with a mailing list and CVS
repository.  Is it still there?  If it is, maybe you take it over.  It
will allow other contributors to access code via CVS and contribute.

Suhaib

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Harold L Hunt II Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 11:21 AM To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com Subject: Re: XWin design suggestion

Suhaib,

I was wondering if you had been watching the list :)

Yes, I think I would be interested in that CD. I will email you off-list with my address.

Harold

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

I had been watching the list.  Harold had done some excellent work on
advancing Cygwin/Xfree to current status.

It was my goal too, to compile XWin.exe with Microsoft Visual Studio.
The initial work was done with Cygwin to get this going and make

porting

to VC easier. Therefore Win32-X11 at Source.redhat.com was started.

was able to patch all the libraries and xclients, even 70% of XWin.exe
code written by Harold.  However, due to my increasing

responsibilities

at work, I had no spare time and stop contributing to several Open
Source projects, like Cygwin/xfree, win32-x11, opendx, and lesstif.

I do still have patched sources of win32-x11 stored on a CD. Harold

if

you need it, and you think it might be useful, I cant send the CD to
you. It is now almost a year old patched work of Xfree86 4.1.0.  I am
sure some of the X-libraries will require patching again. Compilation
with Visual C does require MinW32 version of Flex and Bison.  Flex is
needed to compile some of the fonts.

Suhaib

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Harold L Hunt II Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:49 AM To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com Subject: Re: XWin design suggestion

Sylvain,

Because, as I have reiterated over and over, XWin.exe is a Windows application, not a Cygwin application.

As an aside, one of my goals is to have a stand-alone version of XWin.exe, building off of Suhaib's work, that does not depend upon Cygwin at all. It will mostly be a proof of concept, but it would

also

be cool if X.org accepted the code into their sample implementation. Granted, it wouldn't have all of the libraries and programs, but it would be an X Server that ran on Windows.

Thus, I want to avoid making XWin.exe a Cygwin app. Others may not agree, but that is certainly my goal.

Harold

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

Why would we write outside of the cygwin filesystem to complete this

?

Let us remain structured.

--- Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> a écrit :

Biju,
I think we all forgot about one option: Why don't we use the
interface to (for example) C:\Documents and Settings\User_Foo\Application Data\CygwinXFree86\... ? Is there such an interface or is it

largely

just an issue of getting the proper directory to write your config
files to?

===== Sylvain Petreolle (spetreolle at users dot sourceforge dot net) ICQ

#170597259

No more War !

For the Law of Oil and Fire, Im an European that lives in France.
For all my Brothers and friends, Im a human living on Earth.