Re: webwasher and xfree

Kai wrote:

Hi there...
I am using cygwin and XFree on a win xp machine. I really am enjoying it normally. But the moment I start the webfiltering programm webwasher, everything under X runs really slowly, which is quite unnerving, because especially if I´m online (the moment the webwasher comes useful) I use X-forwarding to access a remote machine. It has nothing got to do with my computer, because all other windows-processes keep up working fine and there is also enough memory and power left. As webwasher works as a proxy-engine, it might be, that X and the webwasher are using some same port. I already changed the port webwasher is using from 8080 to 80, but that did not work, so my idea might or better seems to be wrong.

Has anybody got any suggestions, what I could do?

You're probably using the "Configuration Free" mode of WebWasher, right? I tried that for a while, but had all sorts of problems, so switched back to one of the other configuration modes.
I believe the "Configuration Free" mode does stuff at the network level, so that could indeed cause the slowdowns you describe. The other modes work as a web proxy, so they should leave your non-browser network traffic alone.

HTH,

- Michael