Re: XWin dying immediately on XP Pro SP1 - diagnostics techniques?

Alex,

Thanks for the info.  Replies inline below.

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 May 2003, Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:
> >
> >> 'XWin.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to
> >> start because cygz.dll was not found'
> >>
> >> Sure enough, The Cygwin installer had not installed zlib.  I grabbed
> >> that, installed it, and it works just fine now, including logging to
> >> /tmp/XWin.log.
> >
> > Alex,
> >
> > AFAICS, XFree86-xserv requires XFree86-base, which in turn requires
> > zlib. Did zlib not get selected in setup (which would indicate a bug in
> > setup's dependence mechanism), or did you explicitly unselect it when
> > installing? Igor
>
> Because of how I "acquired" the files, I am almost positive that I screwed
> this up myself.  I'm on dialup and  my connection is broken on the ISP
> side every 4 hours automatically, so I had to mirror a site on my own and
> then did setup from the local files.  There may be a minor glitch in setup
> somewhere - I haven't tried to figure out the details of how it works
> yet - but it was almost certainly precipitated by my download technique.

If there is a "glitch" (or bug) in setup, we'd like to know about it (and
fix it), no matter what precipitates it.  IOW, did you use "setup.exe" to
download the files for your local mirror?  If so, zlib should have been
selected.  If not, and you simply didn't download zlib, you may have other
problems later with missing dependences that lurk on your system.

> > P.S. It's good to know about turning off application popups.  Is that
> > done by some conventional means, or can you only do it using an XP
> > system call?
>
> Yeah - I use it for misbehaved apps that only understand Session 0 on
> Terminal Services... Here's the registry key for this; it works on 2000,
> XP, and presumably Server 2003 - I don't know about any other OS versions:
>
> Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
> Value Name: ErrorMode
> Data Type: REG_DWORD)
> Known Values:
> 0 - All errors appear in popups (this is the default setting).
> 1 - System errors logged, application errors in popups
> 2 - System and application errors logged, no popups.

Is there a tool that would do that, or does it require registry hacking?
The reason I'm asking is that if there is a tool, people might have run
it, and we should then add an entry to the FAQ with something like "my app
just doesn't work with no apparent output" as the question, and the
answer pointing them to the event log...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II