Re: xterm is a console program?

"Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> Early,
>
> The "problem" you are talking about is a non-issue.  If you don't like the
> console, use "run" to get rid of it, and leave the apps with the ability
> to attach to the console of their parent that they now have (as console
> apps).  I, personally, don't see a reason to make an xterm into a pure GUI
> app when "run" is available.
> Igor

Actually, it isn't a non-issue; the typical method most people use to create
a shortcut is to find the executable they want a shortcut to and make a
shortcut to that.  "run" is not an obvious solution to a newcomer (it took
me a good bit of time to find it), and even after it's found, it adds a
layer of complexity that simply isn't present with native Windows apps.

I will grant that this is a boundary case, but it is something that I have
done from time to time and that reduces the level of polish that is evident
in the cygwin port of Xfree86.  With the -multiwindow feature, X apps almost
feel as if they are really Windows apps, which is a VERY good thing -
there's a nearly seamless integration, but... The console popping up is a
noticable seam. IMHO it can and should be removed or reduced as much as
possible.  I have posted a demo program that illustrates a technique that
/should/ run on all Windows flavors since 95 and which, while not removing
the seam entirely, does make it a much less intrusive annoyance.  I'm not
sure exactly where the technique should be inserted - it wouldn't make sense
to modify every single X clients' source base (way too many of them around).
Perhaps it should go in the x client library's startup code?

--
-- Early Ehlinger CEO, ResPower Inc - Toll-Free : 866-737-7697
-- www.respower.com -- 500+ GHz Supercomputer Starting At USD$0.50/GHz*Hour