Re: XDMCP issue - no login dialog from Linux to Cygwin

Harold,

I followed the instructions in there (you know, I thought I'd searched the archives.....) and XDMCP was already enabled in kdmrc.

I also followed the instructions at http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/remote-x-cygwin-howto, and found that XFS wasn't running, but that has made no difference.

I'm beginning to think I have a more fundamental problem that should be in another forum - I'm also having problems getting proftpd to accept connections, and the log says something like (not at the PC right now, so this is from memory) that it can't get an IP address for narbalek.nsw.optushome.com.au. Probably not a surprise, because no doubt it's doing a DNS search, and I've configured the PC to use DHCP off the Linksys router. I tried changing the hostname back to just narbalek (originally I set it to the one above as the installation suggested), but it came back up on reboot as the full one with domain name. Maybe that's DHCP doing it, I don't know.

Anyway, I'll research that one some more. Haven't found a "Linksys/Netgear/etc/etc HOWTO" yet ...

Thanks for your help.

regards - David

David,

You still haven't actually enabled XDMCP yet:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-mandrake-8.1-xdmcp

The default for Mandrake is to use KDM, so the information in the above FAQ entry should help you out.

Let us know what happens,

Harold

David Hislop (mailto:hislop@optushome.com.au)
10 Sheather Avenue