Re: Help me analyze my configuration

Willem Riede wrote:
On 2003.05.25 17:20, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Willem,

Actually, you are in perfect luck, as I have tested an almost identical hardware configuration to what you have above! Unfortunately, you probably aren't going to like what I have to tell you.

The quick answer is that you do have a performance problem. One thing you can do to restore the performance of Cygwin/XFree86 (without fixing the underlying problem) is to use the Shadow GDI-based engine, rather than the default Shadow DirectDraw engine. You do this by passing XWin.exe the "-engine 1" flag:

XWin.exe -engine 1 -query my_remote_hostname_or_ip

This I tried immediately, and it worked like a charm -- the cygwin-xfree
performance is now very good.

Good. At least you have an interim solution.

The real solution, or lack thereof, lies below.

I have an Iwill KA266 with an Athlon 1.2 GHz chip, which was running Windows 2000 at the time. I purchased an ATI All In Wonder 8500DV... hey, wait a minute, I gave a very good writeup of this in the archives:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-12/msg00049.html

So, I suspect that if you run any video playback software or anything else that uses DiretDraw, you will see very jerky and slow redrawing, indicating that this a problem with your video layer, not just with Cygwin/XFree86. Try playing back a DVD or (if you have the All In Wonder) recording some TV and playing it back later.

I re-installed the ATI video drivers and the media-center, and you're
right, DVD playing is awful. I had actually not done that before -- I own
a regular DVD player too so I watch them on my TV -- I used the 8500DV to
watch TV while working on the PC, and that, as before, works just fine.

Yup, that confirms that we basically have the same setup.

You have to upgrade to the ATI drivers, which took me about 4 hours to do properly until the jerkiness went away. You have to follow their instructions VERY carefully and you have to constantly check to see if Windows now thinks that the new drivers are installed.

How _did_ you get rid of the jerkiness? I have the latest drivers from the
ATI website installed, and the device manager shows the correct properties,
but as I said, the resuling jerkiness is horrible.

In the end, you might end up with a freezing problem like I had.

What I found earlier, is that you do not want to install the ALI (not ATI)
chipset 4-in-1 driver on this combination. Totally unstable. The microsoft
drivers for the chipset seem to do a fine job though. While a couple of
hours is hardly enough to declare something stable, so far so good.

Honestly, I don't remember how I got rid of the jerkiness. I do know that I was messing around with the ALI and ATI drivers and I even blew away my Windows 2000 intall and installed Windows XP instead.

Luckily, my hard drive died that night after I got it all setup, so I got to set it up again on a new hard drive the very next day :) That time I had somewhat mastered the art of getting the drivers correct, but that is when I noticed that certain graphics operations (Opening File->Print in any version of Adobe Acrobat Reader) would freeze the machine hard, every single time at exactly the same point.

I ended up having to get rid of my ATI All In Wonder 8500DV, which was really a great card other than the fact that it froze my motherboard.

I may have to do that too, if I decide I care about DVDs (probably not) or
time-shifted video (PVR - which I do want to be able to do). Given that you were not able to get it right, I don't give myself much chance :-(

I think I would keep the 8500DV but get a new motherboard instead. I had read before that the AGP support on that particular Iwill board was spotty, but I didn't care because I had never owned an AGP card. Most other boards out there don't have the same types of problems and I am sure that Iwill has improved their AGP support in the past two years as well.

But at least for now I'm enjoying the remote xfree access to the other PC.

Excellent.

Thanks for your help. Willem Riede.

Thanks for describing the problem. It was kinda neat to see the exact same problem that I had happening to another user :) I mean, it sucks that it happened to you, but it keeps me from thinking that I was just doing something wrong with my configuration. :)