Re: left or top taskbar & multiwindow

Fabrice,

Kensuke is working hard on a new multi-window window manager (see his announcement in today's mailing list log) that will replace the existing functionality. I think this new window manager and multi-window mode will be released within a month, so there is not much point in debugging problems with the current multi-window mode.

Harold

Fabrice Coudert wrote:

Hi folks,

I usually like to set my taskbar at left border of the desktop (more vertical space on the desktop, more space for the task button to show up, all menu near the same area). But when using this configuration i'm experiencing two minor bugs in multiwindow mode :

1) with taskbar at left, area near the right edge of the desktop are not refreshed. The size of the area not refreshed is exactly the size of the taskbar at left. If I take a look into XWin.log I can see that the work area size is the actual desktop size truncated by the size the taskbar, but when using xev I can see that the coordinate are not translated. The same bug appears if the taskbar is set on top ; in this case area at bottom of the screen are refreshed.
A solution is to add -multimonitor : the size of the work area will be set to the wall desktop and all will remain ok.
I joined XWin.log with and without -multiplemonitors.

2) new window are opened under the taskbar, not at the edge of the taskbar.
If the taskbar is on left, a bit of the window is masqued by the taskbar and the rest appears, so I can drag it with the mouse to show all the window. But, if the taskbar is on top, all the window bar is hidden by the taskbar and I can't drag it with the mouse. A solution is to do something like ALT+SPACE, M (for move), and use arrow keys to move it. This is a bit annoying.

I started to look into the source but i will not get enought time to continue. I think that the problem is that work area doesn't need to be truncated in multiwindow mode, auto-hidden or not (winAdjustForAutoHide). But, a fix should be done in the window manager to give correct coordinate for new window, depending on the position of the taskbar, and if it is auto-hidden or not.

Fab.