Re: Keyboard auto-repeat defaults when using 'xwin -query <host>'

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 06:41:14PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Chris Green wrote:
> >The problem is that when I connect using cygwin/xfree the auto-repeat
> >is set to silly values, if I do an 'xset -q' I get:-
> >
> >auto repeat:  on    key click persent:   0    LED mask:  0000000000
> >auto repeat delay:  100    repeat rate:  10
> >
> >That auto repeat delay is much too short.

Thanks for the response and for treating me gently, I'm just feeling
my way in cygwin/X although I have been using Unix/Linux for many
years (since the early 1980s in fact).

> When running locally, I get:
>
> Keyboard Control:
>   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
>   auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  31
>   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
>                         fadfffffffdffdff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

Just about exactly what I get except for the auto repeat delay values
which I reported above.

> When logged into a remote machine via -query I get exactly the same
> values.  I do not have an XF86Config file, and I am not passing any of
> the following command-line parameters to XWin.exe:

> The X Keyboard Extension adds the following arguments:
> -kb                    disable the X Keyboard Extension
> +kb                    enable the X Keyboard Extension
> [+-]accessx [ timeout [ timeout_mask [ feedback [ options_mask] ] ] ]
>                        enable/disable accessx key sequences
> -ar1                   set XKB autorepeat delay
> -ar2                   set XKB autorepeat interval
>
> [...]
>
> -xf86config
> 	Specify a configuration file.

I'm running using a copy of startxwin.bat with the XWIn start line set
to "start XWin -query server".  I have no XF86Config either.

> My /tmp/XWin.log file has the following:

> (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
> (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
> (EE) No primary keyboard configured
> (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
> Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
> Options = "(null)"
>
> Could you please confirm that you are not passing any additional args to
> XWin.exe, then send in your XWin.log files from both a local session and
> from a session when you use -query to connect to a remote machine?  That
> should help us to investigate the problem.

The remote XWin.log file is:-

    ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
    winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
    winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
    OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
    (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
    InitOutput - Error reading config file
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
    winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
    winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
    InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
    winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
    winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1600 h: 1200
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1600 h: 1200
    winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 33 0 1200 1600
    winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 33 0 1200 1600
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1594 h 1137 r 1594 l 0 b 1137 t 0
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Creating primary surface
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Created primary surface
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Attached clipper to primary surface
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 3188
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow pitch: 3188
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow stride: 1594
    winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
    winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16 bpp 16
    winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
    winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
    winScreenInit - returning
    InitOutput - Returning.
    MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
    XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
    (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
    (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809)
    (--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type "4"
    (EE) No primary keyboard configured
    (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
    Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
    winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 797 568
    winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
    winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned

The local XWin.log file is identical apart from the following extra line:-

    _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

(a local X session has the same problems as a remote one)

I will see what logging (if any) that my commercial XWin-32 does and if
there's anything useful I'll report that too.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)