Hosts and X0.hosts

Terje J. Hanssen nteknikk@monet.no
Tue Sep 14 23:36:00 GMT 2004

1. Hosts
---------
I have used C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts for a long time on a
Windows 2000 terminal server. But for some or another reason the Hosts
file suddenly is being deleted from the system, and again as soon as I
recreate it. I have tried to limit the file access to system
administrator only without succeed.  And I haven't found out yet if
there can be or have been installed some kind of antivirus or spyware
program that detects the Hosts file as a virus file and cause that it is
being deleted.

a) Has someone experienced this before or any idea to solve it?

I saw that C:\cygwin\etc\Hosts was a link to the above Hosts file.
Because of the above problem, I replaced the link with the real Hosts
file itself.
Now I try to create a remote connection from a cygwin/X xterm using the
following procedure:

startxwin.bat
xterm
X :2 -query remote_hostname

The system reports and exit the command in the xterm as follows.
"Fatal server error:
Xserver: -query unknown host: remote_hostname"

b) Doesn't Cygwin/X read this latter Hosts file?

2. X0.hosts
To let queried remote xdm/dtlogin/gdm/kdm get access to the local Cygwin
X server, I wonder if the syntax for the content in
C:/cygwin/etc/X0.hosts should be "remote_hostname" only or
"remote_hostname +", alternatively "remote_host_ip" only or
"remote_host_ip +"?

Regards,
Terje J. Hanssen