Re: how to get tilde to work with cygwin xterm + bash

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:14:11PM -0700, bcp wrote:
> >using the combination of cygwin xterm + bash with a local session, the
> >tilde key is dead (pressing it results in nothing on screen).
> >backquote works.  if i switch to an alternate shell (sh or zsh), the
> >tilde key will start working again (~ appear on the screen).
> >
> >i'd be glad to rtfm, if someone could point me there - i haven't found
> >anything that was applicable.
> >
> >system: dell latitude D600, win xp sp2, patched up to most recent,
> >cygwin patched up to most recent.
>
> My knowledge may be dated but, IIRC, this is often a readline problem.
> Do you have a ~/.inputrc file?  If so, make sure that the lines in it
> end only with unix newlines and not with MS-DOS CRLFs.
>
> cgf
I have the same behavior with or without a personal .inputrc file, even if i
ran .inputrc through dos2unix. The systemwide /etc/inputrc is straight out of
the box -er- off the web, so that should be OK.

What *does* work is if I use Ctrl-V then ~ ... the ~ shows up onscreen, and is
interpreted as $HOME. I guess I can live with the extra chord, but it doesn't
seem right.

-bcp