Re: Icons

OK, I didn't quite finish my icon code, but here's some things to discuss:

I'm thinking that the right thing to do is write some code to dump native pixmap data. Then, we can easily test and debug code, which also means people can test on pixel formats they might not have on their system.

It looks like can go from a device dependent X Pixmap (DDPixmap) to a device dependent Win32 bitmap (DDBitmap), then use Windows functions to scale when needed. This can only work if pixel data formats are the same between Windows and Cygwin/X. Does anyone know if there is any chance of an exception to this?

This is good for standard icons which use DDBitmaps. WinXP also accepts DIBitmaps with Alpha. There is no need to use this for DDPixmaps, but it will be useful with NET_WM icons. I assume people are in favor of NET_WM support?

The X .ico files have multiple sizes. I noticed that there are two versions of the truecolor icons. There is no way to distinguish then from LoadIcon() or LoadImage(). One has thicker edges. Maybe it would be useful, but needs to be split into a separate icon.

Also, the 24-bit icon should be dropped, and we should include a 48-bit icon in the EXE, even though it won't be used internally.

I re-wrote the windialogs code to do set icons in winCenterDialog(), which I renamed to winInitDialog(). Sound good?

Joe