Re: Problem solved, sort of (was Re: Cygwin/X under XP fails tostart only on 2nd User Account)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Iain Campbell wrote:

> Tried starting X using 'startx' from the problem account and discovered
> a vital clue. There was an error message suggesting that the process
> couldn't write to /tmp/XWin.log

Ah, good, that was my next question... :-)  I'm glad you found the
problem.

> Rather than delete the file, I've set permissions to 0777 and it fixes
> my problem. I am, however, if this was the correct way to fix it.

That's exactly the correct way to fix it (well, permissions should really
be 0666).  There is no other way to allow different users to write to the
same file (short of adding individual ACLs, but not all POSIX tools
understand those).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/