Re: XWin ignores all parameters related to multiple monitors

On 2014-05-09 3:15, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 09/05/2014 00:27, Lukas Haase wrote:
>> On 2014-05-08 5:15, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>>> So, do you have an example of this working as you would like on a unix
>>> system, and what is the window manager is that case?
>>
>> I am not sure if I get the question.
>>
>> What I could do is to login via VNC and see how the windows are placed
>> are if they are placed the correct way?
>>
>> Is this what you mean?
>>
>> Unfortunately I have no chance to install Cadence locally and run it
>> from a local, dual monitor setup from Linux because Cadence is a
>> proprietary, expensive tool.
>
> I understand that.
>
> I am just looking for some evidence that it isn't a bug in the
> application, i.e. that it works correctly for *anyone* :D
>
> Knowing a window manager which places these windows correctly would also
> give me some source code to look at to work out what I need to change.

Hmm, what I just did is that I started a VNC session and used VNC.
Everything seems to work as expected, new windows are /not/ placed at (0,0).

Window manager is Gnome.

However, as mentioned, this is clearly not a local multi-monitor X
session :(

>>> I've built a snapshot [1], which adds a heuristic which ignores a
>>> 'program specified location' hint if the location is the origin, which
>>> you might like to try and see if that fixes your problem, but I'm not
>>> sure if that is the correct solution.
>>
>> I have just the issue that the exe does not seem to work for me. Is
>> there anything special I need to consider?
>
> Sorry, my snapshot building script went wrong and the snapshot was
> broken.  Try this one instead.
>
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20140509-git-c4a16a6606868d3e.exe.bz2

Can't believe it, great! Works exactly as it should (just with the
standard configuration, "X :0 -multiwindow")!!

Now I just hope that this 'patch' somehow finds its way into the trunk ;-)

Luke