RE: rebuilding for MIPS cross-compile

----------
From: 	Scott Mintz
Sent: 	Friday, April 04, 1997 12:15 PM
To: 	'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'; Russell Kadota
Subject: 	Re: rebuilding for MIPS cross-compile

     I ran into this problem myself.  The cause is due to the fact that the
     xgcc program is referencing the build ld program instead of the host
     ld program.  configure creates a link to the correct ld program
     however it names it collect-ld for some reason.  If you copy
     collect-ld to ld you'll find the problem goes away.

Thank you very much!  I did this and the build (apparently) completed.

     The other problem I ran into was while rebuilding newlib.  In the
     libc/stdio directory, there are a number of references to glue.h.
     Since glue.h doesn't exist in the stdio directory make fails.  I found
     a copy in the libgloss directory and just copied it to stdio and that
     problem went away too.

Odd... my build didn't run into this problem.  I do have a glue.h file in
src/mips-idt-ecoff/newlib/libc/stdio, but it's a link to another file called glue.h
in src/newlib/libc/stdio.

     The biggest problem by far, is the fact that exporting environment
     variables doesn't seem to work correctly.
     example:
     bash$ foo=hello echo $foo

     bash$

     I would expect to see:
     bash$ foo=hello echo $foo
     hello
     bash$

     Because of this bug the genmultilib script in gcc does not create the
     multilib.h file correctly.  I'm not sure how many other places this
     bug affects builds.

How can I determine if my multilib.h file was correctly created?

Now, of course, I'm having errors in the install, but I think I remember seeing
something int the FAQ about that...

Again, thanks for your help, and also thanks to Kai Ruottu who also responded.

     | Scott A. Mintz               | voice: (216) 646-4805              |
     | Allen-Bradley Company        | fax:   (216) 646-4961              |
     | 1 Allen-Bradley Drive        | email: scott.mintz@po.cle.ab.com   |
     | Mayfield Hts., OH 44124-6118 | CIS:   71461,632                   |