Wanted: example java makefile that works under Unix and WinNT

A colleague and I have found that using 'make'  (bundled in with
gnu-win32-b17.1 ) proves to be an odd challenge for Java and JavaCC
(http://www.suntest.com/JavaCC/) compilations on WindowsNT.
In particular, system environment variables-when expanded by 'make'-should be
Unix centric while arguments passed to Windows executables (such as 'javac' or
'javacc') should be Windows centric (e.g. CLASSPATH or CLASSDIR) in order for
them not to choke.
We independently created a sed script akin to the utility described in
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/0126.html, but we have not been successful
in our attempts to create an abstraction within the makefile that doesn't
contain Windows-specific code.  Our goal is to have one makefile for our java
or javacc programs that can be executed on Windows or Unix without special
flags.
Does anyone have such an example that we can review?
Regards,

A. Chase Turner
<cturner@bbn.com>

-