More //F/ style woes

Currently gcc does not allow switches like:

-I//f/include/path

It has been argued here that gcc can understand dos style paths like:

-If:/include/path

This leads to unfortunate problems when using generated dependency lists.
The colon in the path confuses gnumake.  I usually have gcc generate a
dependency file for me by using the -MM switch.  Something like:

gcc -IF:/include/path -MM test-nuance-config.c >> .Dependencies

The problem is that this puts things like F:/include/path/header.h into my
Dependency file and gnumake chokes complains:

/nuance/nuance-config/src> make
.Dependencies.win32:16: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

If I get rid of the drive letter colon things, gnumake works along quite
happily.

So does anyone have a solution on how to address drive/path combinations in
such a way that will work with both gcc and gnumake.  Currently I'm parsing
the .Dependencies file and replacing instances of F: with //F, but frankly
it seems like we need to find a method of naming drive/paths that work for
all the tools.

Thanks,
--jp

-