Re: EXE has file junk in it

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Dean Limbaugh wrote:
> A word about MSDOS/WIN95/WINNT. Files sizes are always an integral number
> of clusters. This means a 1 byte file occupies a full cluster. Apparently,
> when a file is written to disk the unused portion of the buffer is not
> cleared, so whatever was there is written to the disk.

Actually there are three possibilities, and I am trying to see which it
is.
1) clusters are not cleaned when reallocated to a file
2) zero-filled pages from anonymous memory are not being zero-filled
3) clusters from swap are not cleaned when allocated to a process

> ----------
> > From: jman <jman@lx.net>
> > To: Gunther Ebert <gunther.ebert@ixos-leipzig.de>
> > Cc: Bill Klein <bk@cheerful.com>; gnu-win32@cygnus.com
> > Subject: Re: EXE has file junk in it
> > Date: Wednesday, June 04, 1997 1:22 AM
> > Using a hex editor I see this too. If you hex edit a file compiled with
> > gnuwin32 it shows files from other dir in it. This has happened on both
> > NT/Win95. It goes so far as getting a copy of my users an .pwd files. I

Are we sure about nt? If so this is a bit of a problem. But, once again,
it is an NT problem, not a cygwin32 problem. OSes are supposed to do this
work.

ron
-