pwd and case

We are attempting to port a complex build environment from Unix to NT
and have a problem with pwd.  When I execute pwd (through a maze or
emacs subshells, make, and bash) then case of the result is typically
not what I expect.  For instance, pwd returns "//d/Users/mecklen"
instead of "//D/Users/Mecklen".  Since I use sed and other text tools
to compute other directory values this causes problems.  So a couple
of questions:

Has anyone else seen this problem?
How does pwd compute the case of the current directory?

Thanks,
--
Robert Mecklenburg              Voice: 610-834-1010 x248
Parametric Technology Corp.     FAX:   610-834-7652