question/problem using fcntl to change file mode from text to binary

Hi,

	I am having problems using fcntl() to change a file which was
opened in text mode that I'd like to use in binary mode.  In particular,
I'd like to change my standard input and output (fd=0 and fd=1) to
binary so that I can create a filter program.  Right now, I do:

#include <fcntl.h>

flag = fcntl(0, F_GETFL);
flag |= _FBINARY;
fcntl(0, F_SETFL, flag);

but this doesn't seem to work.  As a matter of fact, flag seems to
retrieve some nonsensible value (perhaps the fd itself).

If this doesn't work, how much work-around do I need to do?  I read that
an open() with O_BINARY would do the trick for new files.  Perhaps I'll
give fdopen a try.  Does fcntl() work right now?

Thanks for any help.  Please email swift@world.std.com.

Peter Lu
-