a problem I've been having.

I've been porting my program BitchX (irc chat client) to win95/nt with the
Cygnus tools. I've run into a few gotcha's but other than that everything
seems to work.
1. it seems than when I have a full screen program
running and switch to another window, everything in the background'd
window halts. This of course cause my irc client to "ping" out from the
server.

2. we use a protocol called DCC which allows us to transfer files between
clients. in order todo so we use sockets but I've found that on most Win95
systems and some NT systems we get an error

extern struct hostent *resolv (const char *stuff)
{
        struct hostent *hep;

        if ((hep = lookup_host(stuff)) == NULL)
                hep = lookup_ip(stuff);

        return hep;
}

extern struct hostent *lookup_host (const char *host)
{
        struct hostent *hep;

#ifdef WINNT
        sleep(1);
        alarm(2);
#else
        alarm(1);
#endif
        hep = gethostbyname(host);
        alarm(0);
        return hep;
}

gethostbyname() fails and the clients cannot connect. This only happens in
some cases and not all which makes the problem very hard to find and
debug. (it doesn't occur on my system which is NT4+sp3). I added the
sleep(1) after somebody on the list suggested a workaround for this
problem.

3. mixing cygwin functions and windows functions sometimes causes odd
effects. For example I need to create a server that sits in the background
watching a certain port number. On connect we need to send some
information to the open port and then disconnect until the next time
around. (It's for ident'd a user on port 113). The first attempt at this
resulted in a working identd server, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.
Then I discovered CreateThread() which would allow me todo exactly what I
wanted. ie start a thread that run's constantly looking at port 113 for
connects. Unfortunately what's happening is the thread runs, and then
exits the entire client. Here's the code that I'm using to create the
thread and the thread itself.

int identd_socket_read;

void start_identd(void)
{
DWORD threadid;
HANDLE ret;
int sock;
unsigned short port = 113;

	if ((sock = connect_by_number(NULL, &port, SERVICE_SERVER, PROTOCOL_TCP, 1)) > -1)
	{
		identd_socket_read = sock;
		if (!(ret = CreateThread(NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)identd_thread, NULL, 0, &threadid)))
			put_it("CreateThread returned NULL in identd");
	       	CloseHandle(ret);
	}
}

DWORD WINAPI identd_thread(void)
{
	char buffer[BIG_BUFFER_SIZE+1];
	fd_set identd;
	int lport = 0, rport = 0;
	int identd_socket_write;
	char *bufptr;
	struct  sockaddr_in     remaddr;
	int sra = sizeof(struct sockaddr_in);

	while (1)
	{
		FD_ZERO(&identd);
		FD_SET(identd_socket_read, &identd);
		if ((identd_socket_write = accept(identd_socket_read, (struct sockaddr *) &remaddr, &sra)) > -1)
		{
			FD_ZERO(&identd);
			FD_SET(identd_socket_write, &identd);
        	        switch(select(identd_socket_write+1, &identd, NULL, NULL, NULL))
                	{
				default:
        	                        bufptr = buffer;
					*bufptr = 0;
					FD_CLR(identd_socket_write, &identd);
					if ((read(identd_socket_write, buffer, sizeof(buffer)-1)) <= 0)
						break;;
					if (sscanf(bufptr, "%d , %d", &lport, &rport) != 2
						|| lport < 1 || lport >65535 || rport < 1 || rport >65535)
						break;
					sprintf(buffer, "%hu , %hu : USERID : UNIX : %s\r\n", lport, rport, username);
					write(identd_socket_write, buffer, strlen(buffer));
				case -1:
					close(identd_socket_write);
					identd_socket_write = -1;
				case 0:
					break;
        		}
        	}
		sleep(1);
	}
	fprintf(stderr, "identd returned %d\n", WSAGetLastError());
	abort();
}

4. The console code basically needs tobe re-written from scratch. I
bypassed it entirely when I found it would not do some of the things I
needed it todo. ie handle ansi color properly, cursor movement, clear
screen etc. I do realize that the NT console is limited in some respects
to what it can do, but it isn't that limited.

						Colten Edwards
						panasync@efnet

-