can't figure something out in gl.h

One of the main reasons for my having so many problems linking to SGI's opengl.dll was the fact that in "gl.h" there are these lines:

#if !defined(WIN32)
#define WINGDIAPI
#define APIENTRY
#endif /* defined(WIN32) */

Basically, they don't work. So APIENTRY gets redefined to nothing (from STDCALL). Therefore gcc would constantly spit out an object file that would tell the ld to try and link to a glFunction without the "@NN"s. I therefore idiotically assumed that all glFunctions were not STDCALL's(without even looking at the gl header file). I am kind of unversed in programming in general. I guess I am wondering why these lines don't work properly. Meaning that: WINGDIAPI and APIETNRY should not get redefined to nothing on my machine.

Where would "WIN32" get defined?