RE: "Name mangling", was: pathname conversion

I see a couple of flames flying around today - it's been a while :-).
I enjoyed Charles' satire on words and IMHO if you are using cygwin,
you are probably working in both NT and UNIX environments and if you
get so bent out of shape that a) you can't see humor from fact and b)
you can't recognize that most popular systems became popular because
they had some good features, then I hate to look and see how many
ulcers you have from having to work on the system you despise so
much!

After that long run-on, here's my side on two hot issues:
-	I have been asked to port a lot of scripts to NT and it would have
been nice if I could just take them over and they would work. Reality
is, I am having to use MKS ksh instead of cygwin bash because MKS
allowed for drive letter (DOS style). They don't handle the '\' but
that is only an issue if I am reading in DOS type filenames (from
stdin or another file etc.). That is very isolated and I can handle it
in a couple of routines. Would have loved to use bash and I understand
all the purists arguments, but there is no way I could have ported all
the scripts so easily. This was for a client and on a few machines, so
price at that point was not an issue. The only adjustment the users
have to make is that they see '/' in paths in the output logs etc. but
the drive letters and the input stays the same.
-	Regarding people not doing their own research: when I first started
looking at cygwin, I tried to find everything I could about a subject
through the FAQs and the mailing list. I think it would help
tremendously if a) cygnus had a search engine in front of the archives
and b) often took a look at the complaints and provide those utilities
- I bet 40% of the complaints the last few days (and based on the
archives - the last few months!) have to do with man, less and more;
put them out there!

Ready to accept flames!

Regards

Deepak Khosla