Re: problems with ls ...

William L Anderson was tellin' me ...

| OK, riddle me this:
|
| using cygwin32/b18 ls.exe to list a directory I get
| ls: filex.yyy: Permission denied
|
| but with either MKSNT ls or UWIN ls I get a listing.
|
| what gives?

It appears that the cygwin `ls' actually reads the file somewhat to
get some more information.  Under Unix, `ls' stats the file to find
out it's permissions, owner, etc.  But under Windows, all of this
information isn't available just by doing a stat() (does the stat()
call even exist?) ... so I think that cygwin `ls' reads the beginning
of the file to see if it has some special headers (kind of like the
Unix `file' program) to see if it's actually executable.  When it
cannot read the file, you see this `Permission denied' error.

I may be wrong on this, so if I am, correct me :)

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@comco.com
Unsolicited email of a commercial or advertising nature is not welcomed.