help using Vim with gnuwin32 tools?

Hi.

What do I need to do to get Vim working with the gnuwin32
toolchain (e.g., bash)?  I saw a lot of talk about this in
the mailing list archives of several months ago, but nothing
recently.  There are some defined(__CYGWIN32__) in the source
code (I have vim-5.0p) so it appears that at least some of the
gnuwin32-specific patches circulating back then have made it
into Vim, but make ran into problems.  I have the stock b18
version of the cdk.  Do I need Sergey Okhapin's newer version
of cygwin.dll or newer versions of anything else?

The 'win32 console' version of Vim works mostly OK, but its
path handling converts / to \, so (for example) 'vi /.bashrc'
brings up an empty file unless I happen to be in a directory
on the root drive.  Also, I'd like to be able to use the
editor-dependent commands of sdiff with Vim (I set the
EDITOR variable to point to Vim, but the 'eb' command in sdiff
brings up an empty file).

I know nearly nothing of termcap and ncurses (sorry!), so if
I need to acquire and build these, please point me to useable
sources.  (I do have TERM=linux.)

Thanks,

John
-