Re: Too Much Mail Volume

Greetings,

On 30 Nov 97 at 12:45, the Illustrious Steven Bellenot wrote:

> This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
> served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.

	I tend to agree with this...in two days I've received nearly 100 emails
from the list.

> How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?

	My suggestion would be comp.programming.gnu-win32.

	Problem is that usenet groups are notorious when it comes to
spam/UCE and mailing lists are not when you consider the fact that in the
month or so that I've been subscribed I have only seen two UCEs come
through based on the mailing list itself.

	The biggest danger with a usenet group is the spam or UCE that such
usenet groups generate.  If the group were completely moderated that might
be different.  As we are all probably aware, however, there is not much
time for anyone who regularly subscribes to this mailing list to moderate
such a group.

	What about a mailing list specifically defined as a digest of the
gnu-win32 responses?

	This way, if someone didn't want to deal with the email, they would only
have to deal with a single (weekly) digest that came out.  If they desired
to reply to something from the digest, then their email would be cc: to
the list and any replies to their email would automatically generate a cc:
to the original author of the "thread" itself.

	The announcement side of the mailing list does something similar except
that, as far as I know, there are no replies whatsoever generated by the
mailing list to the originator of the announcement in question.

	Comments?  Feedback?

		Paul G.

Chronicles of Aurum: Book I
      A Journey Into the Fantastic