Re: Definition of VPATH

>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:59:02 +0100
>From: periat@ens.ascom.ch (Periat Henri)
>To: earnie_boyd@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: Definition of VPATH
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com

[snip]

>Hi Earnie
>
>Thanks for your repeated efforts. But your suggestion doesn't work, the
file
>still can't be found.
>Version 3.76.1 of 'GNU make' solves this problem, but it has big
problems with
>'"' in combination with cygnus 'bash', even '@echo "Hello world"'
doesn't work.

I find it interesting that you are have a problem with the '"' in make.
In the original mingw32 it was a known problem; had to do with the way
that win32 was handling a quoted string.  To fix the problem I had to
escape the '"' with the '\' character and depending on the shell nesting
level sometimes the escape would have to be escaped.  I haven't given
Mumit Kahn's EGCS version a try yet but I know he worked on changes
specific to Win32.

I suggest:

1st try Mumit's version.

2nd try compiling the source under cygwin.

>This problem seems to be known and Rob Tulloh <rob_tulloh@tivoli.com>
>recommended me to load the latest patches (a, b, c and d). But i was
not able
>to install these patches and get a running, patched 'make'. In
'gnu.utils.help'
>i asked for a binary but got no response yet.
>

>Henri

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------