Re: Why text=binary mounts (Re: Gnu-win32 (b18), coolview and NTE

Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc) [lhall@rfk.com] wrote:

[...]
>Not necessarily.  Various programs do this, including vim and, I think,
>NTEmacs.
>
>>How do the MS-land programs that understand both line terminations work?
>>They probably just accept either on input, then do \r\n on output, right?
>
>Precisely.

Nope, vim for example reads files in "textmode" or "notextmode" and
also writes them in the same manner. This is true for the Cygnus
compiled vim and for the VC++ compiled one under Windows.
Otherwise you would destroy all your Unix style line breaks, when
reading and writing a file with it.

>Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-