Re: Mingw32 Futures (Classification)

What do we call egcs then? It uses gcc as well. I think we need an extra
field. Or can we differentiate implicitly by the version numbers?
Enquiring minds want to know ;)
Bart
Paul Garceau wrote:

> Greetings,

> > Personally, I have always used terms such as "mingw32 gcc", "mingw32 GNU
> > software" etc., just to avoid this kind of confusion.
>
>         (skip OpenGL references)
>
> > Seriously: work has to be done before mingw32-gcc can fully utilize the
> > possibilities of the Platform SDK. This includes modification to
> > binutils, and an easy, upgradable way to patch the SDK headers.
> >
> > >     I am not sure where Mumit Khans' version fits in here, though I
> > > understand that EGCS is supposedly considered the ragged edge of cygwin32.
> >
> > Not quite.
> > EGCS is a vehicle to speed up the development of new features for GCC.
> > Mumit Khan and I swap patches every now and then, so as far as mingw32
> > related features are concerned, the compilers are more or less equal.
>
>         Thanks for the clarification, Jan-Jaap.

> Paul G. wrote:
>
> > >     The most recent information indicates that gcc/++ 2.8.1 will have the
> > > mingw32 headers, etc. (basic Mingw32 distribution) completely integrated
> > > as well as full compatibility with the Cygwin32.dll by simply including
> > > the cygwin32.dll in the distribution.
>
> Jan-Jaap wrote:
>
> > Nope.
> > GCC (sources) do not include any C library component, nor libstdc++
> > However, all essential support for i386-mingw32 or i386-cygwin32 targets
> > is in the regular sources, so no patches are required to build the
> > compiler. A few patches exist, but they are bugfixes.
> >
> > >     Mingw32 would not exist if Cygwin32 did not have some sort of previous
> > > existence prior to the Mingw32 (v0.4) date of availability.
> > >

> > If it was not for the PE-COFF support implemented by the Cygnus' people,
> > mingw32-gcc would not exist. And Colin Peters started with a hacked
> > cygwin32 toolchain, if I remember correctly.
> >
> > >     Apparently EGCS requires the "basic" Mingw32 distribution as authored by
> > > Colin Peters.  The "extended" Mingw32 distribution, as authored by
> > > Jan-Jaap, requires the "basic" Mingw32 distribution in order to function
> > > properly as far as I can tell.
> > >

> > ????
>
>         Sorry for the confusion, I was attempting to categorize things since
> that's what I thought Colin was asking for.  My mistake.
>

> > I did not extend mingw32. I have no plans to touch the essentials of
> > mingw32. I fail to see why "my" GCC should be "extended" and Mumit's
> > "basic".
>
>         I don't believe that Mumit's is the "basic".  If there is a "basic" it
> would be Colins' Mingw32-headers.
>
>         I classify Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0 as an "extension" of Colins'
> Mingw32-headers by nature of the fact that Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0 would not be
> functioning as it is without Colins' headers.  Thus, my definitions of
> Mingw32 are functionally oriented as opposed to process oriented.
>
>         Mingw32-gcc-2.8.x software requires Colins' Mingw32-headers.
> Mingw32-gcc-2.8.x then takes those headers and integrates them with
> gcc-2.8.x or visa-versa.

> [...]

Bartlee A. Anderson     System Test (Interfaces-Tools-Automation-ISDN)
Rockwell International                    Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct.                                banders@ecd.rockwell.com
MS 933-605      Opinions my own, not Rockwell's   VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191                               FAX   (630) 227-9771
-