This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC on Solaris7: "C compiler cannot create executables"
- To: help-gcc at gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: GCC on Solaris7: "C compiler cannot create executables"
- From: Casper dot Dik at Holland dot Sun dot Com (Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer)
- Date: 20 Oct 1999 12:56:38 GMT
- Newsgroups: comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.solaris,gnu.gcc.help
- Organization: Sun Microsystems, Netherlands
- References: <8E6580C9Fnospamnowherecom@news.worldonline.be>
- Xref: wodc7nx0 comp.unix.programmer:4664 comp.unix.solaris:15674 gnu.gcc.help:1516
[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]
email@example.com (J.V.) writes:
>configure:927: checking for gcc
>configure:1004: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works
>configure:1018: gcc -o conftest -g conftest.c 1>&5
>gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
/usr/ccs/bin/as is in package SUNWsprot
system SUNWsprot Solaris Bundled tools
The solaris FAQ says:
6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?
Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
compiler itself. Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
assembler, linker and libraries. All this stuff lives in
/usr/ccs/bin (add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your
PATH as well) /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.
If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following
packages installed on your system:
for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
for libraries & headers:
SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
for 64 bit development:
SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
SUNWtoox, SUNWlmsx, SUNWlmx, SUNWlibCx
for ucb compat:
These packages are all on the Solaris 2.x CDs, except that some
packages may only exist in some releases and not in others.
Some packages may be on separate CDs, such as the "Desktop/CDE"
CD, but all are part of the Solaris "bundle".
--- end of excerpt from the FAQ
The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.