Making a new cygwin dll - newlib error

I need to increase the number of ttys available (i.e., increase NTTYS
from 16 to 64 in tty.h).
What am I doing wrong in the following,

I downloaded the following from ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnuwin32/latest,

cdk-src.tar.gz
usertools-src.tar.gz
winsup-b19.1.tar.gz

Also,
winsup-980414.tar.b2z (and the tool to extract it from somewhere else on
the web).

I created a directory called /gnukernel and unpacked cdk-src and
usertools-src to /gnukernel/src
I then overwrote the winsup directory in src with first winsup-b19.1 and
then winsup-980414.

I then ran configure from /gnukernel/src. When this was complete, I ran
configure from winsup.
I then ran make from /gnukernel/src/winsup.

I got the error message:
make: *** No rule to make target '../newlib/libc.a', needed by
'new-cygwindevo.dll'. Stop

So, I went to /gnukernel/src/newlib, and noticed there is no "configure"
script in this directory, and that the src/configure doesn't look at
newlib.

Help! I thought I was doing so well!

Ian Collins.
KIWIPLAN NZ.