Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion

On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 09:31:26AM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
[...]
> This should be a FAQ (is it already?)  The mount utility has much the same
> semantics (although not the same syntax!) as UNIX variants.  It does not,
> however, have the requirement that the directory to which you are mounting
> must exist.  This is unfortunate in many ways since all the existing tools
> assume that if there is something mounted, there will already be an entry
> in the directory for the tools (ls, bash) to pick up on.
[...]

The fact that mount does not require the parent directory to exist is
a bug.  It really ought to.

I also consider the //<drive-letter>/ system for referring to drives a
Bad Idea (tm) since it conflicts with the UNC namespace.  I'm somewhat
thinking of removing this functionality and replacing it with
something more sensible but this may be too painful for everyone for
us to contemplate it seriously.  :-(

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com