This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: CD-based distribution (was Another website....)
- To: Jeff Sturm <jsturm at sigma6 dot com>
- Subject: Re: CD-based distribution (was Another website....)
- From: "Bartlee A. Anderson" <banders at ec dot rockwell dot com>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:59:07 -0500
- CC: Marcus Brown <Brown at sw dot mke dot etn dot com>, Robert dot Cross at scottish-newcastle dot co dot uk, gnu-win32 at cygnus dot com
- References: <C0B7E1B3BE9CD111B6F000A0246DBB9B16F8@softech.mke.etn.com> <35D83FED.50E5C27A@sigma6.com>
Aren't there already windows .hlp files for a lot of this stuff?
I think that would be the most native/easiest to use.
I don't want to bring up a browser with overhead to do a man request.
Jeff Sturm wrote:
> HTML help files are a good idea provided the user has a decent browser
> installed (probably nearly all desktops these days). Plenty of tools
> exist to convert man and tekinfo files to HTML (I assume).
> One problem using static files for help is the lack of a search
> facility. I've heard Microsoft has done something for Win98, but that
> won't help us since the GNU-win32 distribution is targetting Win95/NT
> too. Maybe someone can build a help engine based on Apache though...
> Marcus Brown wrote:
> > An Idea,
> > How about using HTML Help as opposed to .info/man files? This is an
> > up'n'coming help system that seems to be gaining a lot of ground, just a
> > suggestion...
> > Jeff Sturm wrote:
> > >The 'man' command should be included. What about HTML, or (ick)
> > Windows
> > >.hlp files?
> > >Jeff Sturm
> > >email@example.com
> Jeff Sturm
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "firstname.lastname@example.org" with one line of text: "help".
Bartlee A. Anderson System Test (Interfaces-Tools-Automation-ISDN)
Rockwell International Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct. email@example.com
MS 933-605 Opinions my own, not Rockwell's VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191 FAX (630) 227-9771
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"firstname.lastname@example.org" with one line of text: "help".