Re: Mesa Graphics Library

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Paul Garceau wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 	Has anyone heard of the Mesa Graphics Library?  I recently downloaded
> a copy and have been working on attempting to make a native windows port of
> this package using EGCS-Mingw32.

I remember Brian Paul mentioning that someone was working on; this was
a few years ago, and I haven't really kept up with Mesa development
since. Was there nothing about Win32 in the latest distrib?

> 	Is anyone else working with this library for Gnu-Win32?  If so, please let
> me know what you have discovered as I do not want to be forced to re-invent
> the wheel where this graphics lib is concerned.

I'm using MS OpenGL, so haven't had the need. If someone else doesn't do
it, I'll probably give it a shot. Do remember that Mesa can be quite slow
unless; there are some patches to support hardware accelaration, but
only available for a few systems. One of my packages uses Mesa on Linux,
and the slowdown is quite noticable for complex 3D real-time simulation
(wave front propagation). That's probably the only tool I have that runs
faster under Solaris 2.6 than under Linux on the same machine. MS OpenGL
isn't that great either, so ...

Mumit

-