Re: Simplest way to translate file formats.

---Chris Searle <chris@searle1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've brought down a couple of tarballs for various ported apps for
> cygwin, and some have LF line terminated files, some have CR LF files.
> Now, all my mounts are binary, and configure barfs on CR LF.

This is the price you pay for text=binary.  I don't have any problems
with \r\n files.  I have my mounts set to text!=binary and modify the
fopen/open to specify binary or text mode file processing.  I simply
don't have these kinds of problems.

I suggest that if you don't want these headaches that you switch back
to text!=binary mounts and port the programs properly.  If you must,
there are utilities for converting between unix and dos file formats.
I'm not sure where or the names but search the web for dos2unix or d2u.

==