Re: tar problems in cygwin

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Eric Goforth wrote:

> Am I using tar incorrectly here or does tar under cygwin not work the same
> as in bash under Linux?
>
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ tar -xvfz /windows/desktop/emacs*
> tar: Cannot open z: No such file or directory

Your argument order is incorrect. The '-f' option must be immediately
followed by a filename. It's taking the 'z' as the filename (which you
intended to be the 'gunzip' option). Try this instead:

tar -xvzf foo.tar.gz

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)
  "So perl is like a graceful swan, gliding across a lake. But underneath the

-- beable van polasm in http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=440381254