xterm/rxvt question

This is probably a rookie question but I hope you folks
will assist anyway!

When I run rxvt or xterm, I get "Failed to open input method" error.

I tried setting CYGWIN_TTY=1 and CYGWIN=1 and  I have searched
the archives (looking for the wrong thing maybe?).  All to no avail

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I am running B20.1 on NT with SP4.

--
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable
application of high explosives.

Dwayne Cox
Database Administrator
University of Florida Brain Institute