Howto fix some terminal keys which don't work right

I'm using Win98, and for some reason the left arrow key does not work right
- it just starts inserting a bunch of gook at the end of the line in bash.

I looked at /etc/termcap, and had no idea how to modify it to get the key
working properly.

Do I need to modify /etc/termcap ? If so, does anyone know a quick-fix, or
could point me to a place to learn how to modify termcap ?