setting CYGWIN from telnetd

Greetings cygwin readers,

Using inetd/telnetd from Sergey's remote package on B20.1.  Login
shell in /etc/passwd is bash.  How can I set the CYGWIN environment
variable when bash is executed as a login shell from telnetd?

I thought about adding the following to ~/.bash_profile:

export CYGWIN=...
exec bash

(Of course you would have to be more careful if you wanted "exec bash
-login" instead.)

Is this the correct technique, or is there a better way to do this?

Regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468