Re: How to compile binutils

You also need the (recently added) toplevel.tar.bz2, which includes
those files common to all source distributions.  However, for
binutils, you'll need other parts, like opcodes, bfd, include,
libiberty, and maybe more.

The src-by-top-dir packages are exactly that - the sources, broken up
by top directory.  However, not all top directories correspond
perfectly to buildable packages, since many things are shared among
packages.