Porting BiBtool 2.43

Some people were interested in this program.  So here's all the details

---

Porting BiBtool 2.43 using Cygwin B20.1

By: Vincent P. LaBella
vlabella@comp.uark.edu

BiBtool is a program that sorts and processes BiBTeX databases for all you
TeX-ers out there.  It is a must have for LaTeX/TeX users who have large
refernce databases.

Getting the distribution
goto:
http://ctan.unsw.edu.au/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/utils/bibtool/BibTool.html
to get the source code and find out more information

Installation is straight-forward, except for some minor modifications to
the source code.  ecgs/gcc will not compile two of the souce files.  The
following will explain how to modify the code.

Installing:

	1.) unpack the distribution and read the install instructions

	2.) ./configure -- works fine

	3.) make -- gcc will fail on error.c and print.c
	here is how to modify the code:

	a.) edit main.c add the following two lines as the
	first two lines of the main(...) function

		err_file = stderr;
		ofile	 = stdout;

	b.) edit error.c change line 50 from:

	FILE * err_file = stderr;

	to:

	FILE * err_file;

	c.) edit print.h add the following line before the function
declarations

	extern FILE * ofile;

	d.) edit print.c change line

	static FILE * ofile = stdout;

	FILE * ofile

	4.) now run make and it should compile fine.

	5.) make install -- works fine

I tried to contact the author Gerd Neugebauer. However, his email bounced
back to me.  The last time the code was modified was back in 1997.
However, I've been using it and it is pretty much bug free.  I hope this
finds and helps whoever is maintaining it...

---

Vince

 vlabella@comp.uark.edu  University of Arkansas
 501.575.4313            Department of Physics
 4781/Lab/4580/FAX/      Fayetteville, AR 72701