Re: program icons and version info for Windows

Paul Thiessen wrote:

> This is just a silly UI question, but does anybody know how to attach an
> icon to an executable, so that I can override windows' usual boring .exe
> icon? Also, I notice that some executables have 'version' information when
> you open their "properties" tab - how can I include that stuff?
>
>  - Paul

Here's the resource definition file from my "run.exe" program, and the cygwin
makefile. The icon stuff works, but the version info doesn't (at least when
built with the stock B20.1 egcs, which was the last time I built this.
Windres may have been improved since then. When built using msvc, the version
info stuff does work.

********** makefile.cygwin *********

.SUFFIXES:
.SUFFIXES: .c.o .rc.o
# Makefile for gnu-win32 environments
run : run.c run.h run_res.o
 gcc -c -I. -O2 run.c -o run.o
 gcc -mwindows -e _mainCRTStartup run.o run_res.o -o run.exe

run_res.o : run.rc
 windres -i run.rc -o run_res.o

********** run.rc **********

run ICON PRELOAD "run.ico"
rxvt ICON "rxvt.ico"
XEmacs ICON "xemacs.ico"
XEmacsFile ICON "File.ico"
XEmacsLisp ICON "Lisp.ico"

#include <windows.h>
#include "run.h"

1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1, 1, 3, 0
PRODUCTVERSION 1, 1, 3, 0
FILEOS VOS_NT_WINDOWS32
FILETYPE VFT_APP
FILESUBTYPE 0
BEGIN
 BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
 BEGIN
  BLOCK "04090000"
  BEGIN
   VALUE "CompanyName", "Charles S. Wilson\000"
   VALUE "FileDescription", "Runs console-mode programs sans console.\000"
   VALUE "FileVersion", "1.1.4\000"
   VALUE "InternalName", "run\000"
   VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright © 1988 Charles S. Wilson\000"
   VALUE "OriginalFilename", "run.exe\000"
   VALUE "ProductName","run\000"
   VALUE "ProductVersion","1.1.4\000"
   VALUE "GPL Copyleft", "Released under the GNU General Public License
version 2 --------------------------------------- This program is free
software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
--------------------------------------- This program is distributed in the
hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the
implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
the GNU General Public License for more details.
--------------------------------------- You should have received a copy of
the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the
Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307  USA\000"
  END
 END
END