Re: texinfo install

At 09:39 AM 5/12/99 -0700, Scott Smith wrote:

<snip>

>Well, I have a relativley raw egcs-2.91.60 (1.1.1) & haven't dealt with
>termcap
>etc. yet.  But that wasn't the problem.  The problem seems to have been that
>first used WinZip to decompress the original tar.gz file.  I don't have a
>clue
>why this had any adverse effects (the directory structure was intact) but
>when
>I used just tar in a bash sell the make worked perfectly!  That is, I just
>did
>"./configure" then "make all" with no additional settings.  Other than using
>tar vs WinZip everything was identical.  (I did need to be root when running
>make
>in order for some link to be set.)
>
>Anyone have a clue as to why this occurs?  I'm no longer going to use WinZip
>nor WordPad for anything is use with CygWin.  I still believe that one of
>these
>was responsible for a compiler problem I had earlier where it complained of
>multiple includes....
>
>Regards,
>Scott

Good point and one which Mumit has made in the past.  In general, if you
expect to be able to build these source distributions from a tar ball,
DON'T USE WINZIP TO UNPACK THEM!  If you insist on doing so, you do so at
your own risk!  Its a painful lesson to learn when you learn it yourself!:-)

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone