Re: File handle limit in msvcrt

From msdc vc++ docs

The _setmaxstdio function changes the maximum value for the number of files which may be simultaneously open at the stdio level.

C run-time I/O now supports many more open files on Win32 platforms than in previous versions. Up to 2,048 files may be open
simultaneously at the lowio level (that is, opened and accessed by means of the _open, _read, _write, and so forth family of I/O functions).
Up to 512 files may be open simultaneously at the stdio level (that is, opened and accessed by
means of the fopen, fgetc, fputc, and so forth family of functions). The limit of 512 open files at the stdio level
may be increased to a maximum of 2,048 by means of the _setmaxstdio function.

Since stdio level functions, such as fopen, are built on top of the lowio functions, the maximum of 2,048 is a hard upper limit
for the number of simultaneously open files accessed through the C run-time library.

Note   This upper limit may be beyond what is supported by a particular Win32 platform and configuration.

Stream I/O Routines